Stamp Duty/ Land and Buildings Transaction Tax (LBTT)
Stamp Duty/ Land and Buildings Transaction Tax (LBTT) can be a complicated added expense for purchasers to calculate due to the different rates that apply to different purchase types. Here’s a guide to help you understand the Stamp Duty/LBTT you will need to pay-
Current Homeowner or owned a property before-
- For up to £145,000 of the property price you don’t need to pay stamp duty
- £145,001 – £250,000 the rate you pay is 2%
- £250,001- £325,000 the rate is 5%
- £325,000-£750,000 the rate is 10%
- £750,000 and above the rate is 12%
First Time Buyers-
- For up to £175,000 of the property price you do not need to pay stamp duty
- Anything above £175,000 you only pay Stamp duty on the excess at the standard rate.
- To qualify as a First Time Buyer, you must have never owned, inherited or part-owned a property before.
Buy-To-Lets & Second Home Properties-
- Properties purchased as a second home or a Buy to Let investment will incur an additional 3% Stamp Duty surcharge if the property costs over £40,000.
Please be aware that Stamp Duty rates vary between Scotland, England, Wales & Northern Ireland therefore it is important to seek advice from your Solicitor when purchasing a property.